Frequently Asked Questions
Have a burning question about admission to Cornell or about how to finance your education at the university? Check out these frequently asked questions about first-year, transfer, or international admission, or gather information about the financial aid process.
- What are the deadlines for submitting all of my application materials?
- May I apply to more than one college at Cornell?
- How do I decide which college at Cornell would be best for me?
- Which college at Cornell will offer me the best chance of admission?
- Does Cornell have pre-med, pre-vet, or pre-law majors?
- If I want to major in biology, should I apply to the College of Arts and Sciences or the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences?
- What are the GPA and SAT/ACT cutoffs for admission?
- Will my application be considered differently depending on whether I attend a public or a private high school?
- What standardized test scores will I need to submit to Cornell?
- What's the real difference between the privately endowed and state-assisted undergraduate colleges?
- Are interviews required?
- Does Cornell offer any scholarships?
- How far is Cornell from New York City?
- How are the workload and stress levels at Cornell?
- What's it like living in Ithaca?
- What are the winters like?
- What tests are required for international students?
- What are the conditions that have to be met in order to have the TOEFL/IELTS requirement waived?
- How do I receive a TOEFL waiver?
- Can I submit photocopies of my transcripts?
- Do A-levels or IB's exempt me from sending yearly transcripts?
- Do A-levels or IB's exempt me from the SAT requirement?
- Is financial aid offered to international students?
- Can international students apply under the Early Decision plan?
- I just started attending a university in my home country, but I want to apply to Cornell as a freshman. Is this possible?
- How and when do I get my I-20?
- How do you consider U.S. citizens abroad and international students attending school in the U.S.?
- Can I apply for spring transfer admission as an international student?
- If I’m currently attending college and want to transfer, can I do so after one semester?
- Will all my courses transfer?
- Does the credit I received by examination at my previous college or university transfer?
- Will I automatically receive AP, IB or A Level examinations credit if it was accepted at my previous institution?
- Cornell is on the semester system. At my current institution, the academic year is divided into quarters. How will my quarter hours be converted to semester hours?
- What should I send you to make credit evaluation easier?
- How many semesters must I complete at Cornell to qualify for a degree?
- Does Cornell have articulation agreements with any community colleges?
- Can I send admission materials before my application is submitted?
- How do I get a fee waiver?
- Am I able to enroll at Cornell for a second bachelor’s degree?
- What is a "visiting student"?
- I am interested in studying as a visiting student at Cornell. Which application should I submit?
- Is financial aid available for visiting students?