Information for Prospective Applicants with a Misdemeanor or Felony Conviction
In Spring 2016, Cornell University signed President Obama’s Fair Chance Higher Education Pledge. Cornell has committed to eliminating unnecessary barriers in the admissions process for applicants who provide information about a misdemeanor or felony conviction. In collaboration with the Cornell Prison Reform and Education Project (PREP), this information is intended to assist prospective students with information about Cornell’s commitment to eliminating unnecessary barriers in the admissions process.
Among the elements of the pledge, Cornell has committed to:
- Following a protocol for reviewing applications involving students who have provided information about a misdemeanor or felony conviction.
- Considering information about a misdemeanor or felony conviction only after conducting an individualized and holistic review of the admissions application and determining sufficient potential for admission.
- Providing applicants the opportunity to explain a misdemeanor or felony conviction and to submit supporting information from officials at an educational institution (e.g. secondary school or institution of higher education).
Questions regarding Cornell’s admissions process for applicants with a misdemeanor or felony conviction are welcome to contact email@example.com
Questions regarding Cornell’s Prison Reform and Education Project should be directed to https://www.cornellprep.org/contact.html
- Cornell Prison Reform and Education Project
- Cornell University Prison Education Program
- Fair Chance Higher Education Pledge
- $1.7 million Mellon grant fortifies prison education
- NY re-entry program awards Cornell $750K for prison education
- Auburn student prisoners debate team of future lawyers
- Iscol lecturer to challenge mass jailing in Sept. 27 talk
- Cornell joins White House in pledge for post-prison higher ed
- Employee Assembly Pressures Cornell to ‘Ban the Box’
- Prison education program to expand with Mellon grant
- Panelists discuss ending the 'prison industrial complex'
Connect with Cornell Undergraduate Admissions on Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, and our admissions blog!