Tips on Applying
Here are some helpful tips about applying to Cornell:
- Give yourself enough time before the application deadline to complete both the application and supplemental information.
- Be sure to carefully review the information online about the college or school to which you’re applying. Understanding the college/school you want to attend will be a big help when writing your college interest essay.
- Spend time on your essay and research the academic area(s) you’re applying to! Admission committees want to know that Cornell is a good fit for your academic interests…and that you are a good fit for the college you have applied to within Cornell.
- Provide your guidance counselor and teachers with advance notice of your intention to apply to Cornell.
- If mailing materials, pages may get separated, so include your full name and date of birth on each page mailed. For groupings of multiple pages, please use paper clips (do not staple).
- Carefully type your email address on all of the application materials. Make sure to check your email for important information and that your settings allow you to receive email from Cornell.
- After completing your application, save copies for yourself.
- Set up your online application status account by following the instructions you will receive by email after submitting your application.
- When submitting your application online, be sure to click “Submit/Send” for both the application and the supplement.
Cornell is one of the eight Ivy League Schools, which all follow similar procedures for admissions. Click here for more information on the Common Ivy League Admissions Procedures.