Admission Requirements

Your application must be postmarked by October 1 for spring 2014 transfer admission or by March 1 for fall 2014 transfer admission.

This section will give you 10 things you either need to know or do to apply for transfer. Then use our checklist to make sure you have all of the required elements together before submitting your transfer application. Want more detail? Download and print our detailed Transfer Application Instructions.

1. Eligibility

To apply as a transfer student, you must have already matriculated full-time at another institution and/or graduated from high school or you have earned 12 or more credits at a college or university since graduating from high school. If you are enrolled in a dual-enrollment or early-college program and haven’t yet graduated from high school, you will apply as a first-year applicant.

2. Basic Requirements

Be sure that you have completed all the basic educational requirements needed to transfer to Cornell. Each of our undergraduate colleges or schools may have specific requirements and prerequisites that you’ll need to meet, and maybe some extra items you’ll need to submit to be considered for admission.

3. Choosing a College

You may apply to only one of the seven undergraduate colleges or schools at Cornell, with rare exception.* Each college or school has its own transfer applicant admission requirements. Make sure to review the appropriate transfer student requirements and send any requests for specifics directly to the college or school you’re considering.

*At the discretion of the admissions office, another college at Cornell may review your application if you are not offered admission to your first-choice college.

4. Transfer Application

Cornell uses the Common Application, Academic Report, Registrar Report, and Mid-Term Report OR the Universal College Application, Transfer Supplement, Professor Evaluation, College Report and Cornell Mid-Term Report.

5. Cornell University Supplemental Information

The Cornell Questions and Writing Supplement (CA) or Transfer Supplment (UCA) are required of all applicants. These sections include important Cornell-specific information.

6. Supporting Materials

In addition to the transfer application, Cornell requires submission of the following forms with your application. These forms can be submitted online, or by mail. Be sure to remind individuals writing recommendations for you to include your name and date of birth on all pages.

  • Academic Report (CA) or Professor Recommendation (UCA) - This form must be completed by one or more instructors who have taught you in a full-credit college course. A high school teacher’s recommendation should not take the place of a recommendation from one of your college instructors. This can be submitted online, or by mail.
  • Registrar Report (CA) or College Report (UCA) - A dean, registrar, advisor, or other college official who has access to your academic and disciplinary records must complete this report. The official should complete the form to the best of their ability; the sections regarding academic standing and disciplinary record are required. We cannot review your application without a completed Registrar Report. This can be submitted online, or by mail.
  • Mid-Term Report - This form is completed by instructors whose courses you are enrolled in at the time of your application. If midterm grades are not available to submit with your application, the Mid-Term Report should be submitted as soon as possible when grades are available. If your college does not assign midterm grades, please speak with your professors and have them assess your current performance in class. This form is submitted by mail only.

Don’t forget to check with the undergraduate college or school to which you are applying for any additional required submissions. Without these required materials, your application will not be considered complete.

7. Official Transcripts

We require your official secondary/high school transcript(s) and official transcripts from all colleges attended. Official transcripts must be submitted directly to us from the issuing institution.

8. Standardized Test Scores

If you have previously taken the SAT or ACT, you should have an official score report sent to Cornell by the testing agency. It is not necessary to take the SAT or ACT if you have not previously done so.

9. Application Fee

Applications must be submitted with a $75 application fee or fee waiver in order to be considered. Submitting the application and the $75 online fee or the transfer fee waiver* begins the transfer admission process and should be done as soon as possible to avoid delays. We highly encourage you to submit your application and payment online.

Please note that Cornell cannot process your transfer application without the $75 application fee or a transfer fee waiver. Remember that if you apply online, you must submit the application fee online, or you must mark the box indicating you are requesting a waiver.

*Transfer Fee Waiver

In keeping with Ezra Cornell’s vision of “Any person, any study,” Cornell is proud to serve students from all economic backgrounds. If submitting our application fee would result in a financial hardship for your family, we encourage you to consider applying for a fee waiver. You can apply for an application fee waiver by submitting a letter from a transfer advisor, the financial aid office at your current college/university, or representative of a social service/community agency stating that the fee would cause financial hardship. Should you have questions, please contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office at

Please follow the fee waiver instructions on the Common Application.

10. Interviews

Most of our colleges and schools do not require, or offer, an interview. The programs that do require an interview are:

A. College of Architecture, Art, and Planning - for architecture or fine arts applicants to the College of Architecture, Art, and Planning, use the AAP online interview request form or call 607.255.4376 to schedule an interview.
B. School of Hotel Administration - submit the School of Hotel Administration online request form to schedule an interview by the corresponding spring or fall transfer application deadline.